I don't want to be a feminist

I don't want to be known as feminist. I roll my eyes at anything with this label. I roll may eyes at anything that's labelled anything to do with equality. Not because I am anti, I am bored of the fact that it's even a topic. In a world we are trying not to label people, we seem to have more labels than ever. Can we just all agree that we are humans, with blood running through our bodies and the ability to do whatever we want to do.
The more I hear or read about LGBTQ or race or feminism, the more my blood sizzles and I want to ignore it. Even the topic about children being gender neutral or parents consciously deciding that they are going to be brought up in a specific way makes me huff.

I, as a child said so many time that I wanted to be a boy. Not because I actually wanted to be a boy, but because I had two brothers and they seemed to have an easier life. They didn't have to spend ages getting their hair combed out, or made a fuss about what they were wearing when we went to something fancy.
As the youngest, I got hand me downs. So yeah, I wear clothes that are a boys fit. (Notice how I say that, though I normally just call them boys clothes) I still do sometimes now,in my 30's just because I like the item. But my parents didn't think, oh my, she must be different. It just what I was surrounded by, it was what was there and what we had.
Children are learning as they grow, they copy what is around them. If a boy is in a houseful of women and wants to put on a skirt, this doesn't mean he's going to be gay or a cross dresser, it just might be he want to do want he sees is around him. If a girl plays with cars, what does this matter. Women's drive cars every day. And boys playing with dolls should only be encouraged. They will be better fathers for this, and once again. They are seeing what adults do and copying them. But society want to brand them. Stick a label on them before they have fully explored everything around them. Side note, my older nephew took over doing something from me with him baby brother saying, 'Aunty, you don't have much experience with babies.' I was shocked and proud at the same time.

Now we are being told that we cannot say boys and girls in some schools. But they are the two sexes of the human race. Which ever you identifying as, or want to be next to, then just stand in that group. Why has it got to be so difficult?

I see myself as nothing but human. The only time I am made aware of my race or sex is when I have been in certain establishments (Soho House) where I have invited a group of male friends and the staff member asks, looking at the men, who is the member? The guys look to me, as I say clearly. 'I am.'
Or if I am with a group of white female friends and they look away from me and ask, once again who the member is.


Are you oppressed? Have you used your sex to get something you want?

As for feminism, yes I am aware women have had to fight to be heard and allow us to be where we are. But we are still speaking of woman as a species that are still learning their way in the world. We are the world, we are humans, like men, that do the same as them from the day we are born. We go through school together, we explore growing together, we eat together , we breathe and bleed the same. (A part from when our little monthly friend comes along). As we are human. We can do practically everything the other can do. It's no surprise. It's only when we leave education that a gap appears. The working environment seems to separate men and women, when going through school it challenged each other.

Feminist: a person who believes in the social, political and economic equality of the sexes.

Yes let's fight for equal pay and highlight discrimination but all this women talk feels to me that it's putting a divide between the sexes. As highlighted at this years Oscars, by Frances McDormand, we should be 'inclusivity riders.' I like this term, It brings everyone together and build curiosity, starts conversations. It doesn't throw a harsh label in your face. It's doesn't make you sound like an extremist, it's doesn't bring pre- judgement on anyone and it invites everyone to be part of it. It says I stand with everyone, because we are the same.

https://youtu.be/H50eCfpquBI

https://goo.gl/images/kk17ro

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Hair Angel

Unfinished writing :2015

Who are you without them? POEM