Do It Yourself

I'm a very 'right now' kind of person. I think of something to do, I want to do it straight away. But this time, I had to wait.
The light in my bedroom is useless, it doesn't produce make light and I end up with badly waxed legs and full on stage make-up. The solution...changes it. Simples!
I've never changed a light fitting myself, so I thought when my brother next visits; I’ll get him to do it. I bought the new light and now just had to wait. I was in for a six week wait as he'd had to go to Canada to slide down a few tracks. (Bob sleighing). Six weeks is FOREVER! I want it done NOW! I heard my house mate say her dad was visiting, so maybe he could do it for me? Maybe not, as when he came they were out doing the tourist thing. So it came down to the old saying...'if you want something doing, your best off doing it yourself.'
With my highest GCSE in wood work and manufacturing services, I can clearly do this small job.
Stage one: find out what the task entails and for that we refer to Google. 'How to change a light fitting?' (Google has the answer to everything.)
Stage two: watch the video on you tube, get the general gist and remember the vital piece of information (turn the electrics off at the main supply!)
 Stage three: get to work.
With a bit of force I manage to take the shell off the current light and unscrew the frame holding it up. I notice as I take everything away, the ceiling is slightly crumbling. The screws that were holding it up came away very easily. No everything was off; I start to put everything back with the new light. To make life easy, I use the current holes as I don't have a drill. Within five minutes, I jump down for the stool that I’ve carefully been balancing on, and asses my handy work. It looks brilliant!!! Apart from the fact that due to the crumbling it's not entirely secure. As I had let go the whole thing dropped...only by a centimetre, the holes I'd used were proving to be too loose. But the light works and I can see parts of my room that I’d never seen before! I had a great solution.  Digging through my box of 'tools' I pull out masking tape and hold it up like a knight standing tall with his sword. I'm a fucking genius! I’m going to tape it to the ceiling.
Masking tape bandaged all over and still it seems shaky. Quick run around the house and I come back to my bedroom, climb back on the stool and go over the work with brown parcel tape.
A master piece!
Ok, I know it's not very safe. But it will do for now. I had another brain wave. No more nails! I’ll go out and buy No more Nails- that works for everything. (I stuck a mirror up with it before, regardless to say, when I moved I couldn't take it with me).
I couldn't find this glue that I wanted, but Pound land did have Hard as Nails. Sorted.
Back to the room, 9pm. (if I think of doing something, I do it then and there). Not really a good time to change lights. But with the aid of the torch on my phone and my lamp. (I discover that the fuse box didn't actually turn off any of the mains) I begin the task again. Ideally I need some plaster to fill all the holes and reinforce the ceiling. But as I don't have plaster, I'll use the 'Hard as Nails' in substitute. (Don’t worry, it'll be fine) Look.
Left over night to dry. I got up, cleaned the splodges of glue that had dripped down and finished off my work.
Ladies and gentlemen, let me reveal the finished product.....
Pretty impressive, eh?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Hair Angel

Unfinished writing :2015

Who are you without them? POEM