Just My Luck.

I manage to book in to have a voice reel produced the other week. And how excited was I? It’s something thing that all actor need to have and something that is often requested (so a show reel, but that one’s a little harder to produce). So seeming all I had to do was get the script and record...simples!
Not quite. I searched many companies and settled for one that had a good price and happy reviews. BOOKED! Though, unlike many others, this company didn't provide you with any script. It seems that casting directors are able to tell where you've had it done by the pieces used. Not to worry, this gives me some work to do.
All pieces sorted almost the same day I booked, I now patiently waited for the week to come so 'say some tracks'.
Now we come to the night before and I'm having ear ache, which comes with a slight sense of a sore throat. I try to ignore it, but deep down I know I'm ill.
I wake up a snotty mess and have a slight cough, but it’s not too bad, I'll get through my recording....And I did, cos I'm a bloody trooper like that.  Though you can sense a little bit that I'm ill- But nevertheless, I'm happy with it.
     http://www.castingcallpro.com/uk/view.php?uid=200237

Now that's done, I can concentrate on being ill...well trying to get better because at the end of the week I have a singing audition for an agent.
Thursday, I'm still ill. My ears feel like they have knives stick in them, my throat is so sore that I’ve given myself voice rest. I’ve a total unattractive snot machine. And it's just my luck that every time I'm ill I have an important audition.

 I head to bed a 9pm, to try and sleep it off (it's not as bad as it first was, but I still can't sing the song like I normally can). I don't want to have to cancel as they only audition once a year.
Friday morning my body feels a lot better. Though I can hear out of my right ear and when singing the top notes crack out, I splutter and end up coughing. And when I have to go into sing, I have to climb up three flights of stairs and completely out of breath....I should have cancelled, it was dreadful the agent had to offer me water and give me time out to silently die.  But for better or worse, I always try.
I remember my final dance round for Lion King...I had REALLY bad flu, fever, chills, sore body, light headiness...I probably should have died. But I got down to the last four- but I did have to take five as after about the 100th stag jump across the room, I was ready to pass out. (Mind you, so were some others that weren't even ill.)

Now I question, what are you meant to do in those situations? Cancel, inform them that you're ill or just toughen up and get on with it?

Comments

Unknown said…
Get on with it! It's what we do.

Popular posts from this blog

My Hair Angel

Unfinished writing :2015

Who are you without them? POEM