Popping To The Shops.

Happy New Year Everyone! I hope you all enjoyed the Christmas season. I spent mine holiday at my parent's house, with no heating or hot water, due to building works. But never the less, had a great time.
I was my mother's side kick throughout my time at home and learnt several things from her. The main one, her expression 'We're popping to the shops'.
Now every day, we seemed to pop to the shops, for one reason or the other. Most if the time for appliances for build and Christmas presents. I didn't mind so much, as we were only 'Popping to the shops'. Ha ha ha. To me, this only takes 30 mins to an hour, if just 'popping'. Not THREE HOURS, that's not Popping. That a bloody day trip. I know my mum's time keeping is bad, but really, how can a few simple errands take up the whole day?!!! I tell you how. We'd get in the car, drive down the street and suddenly have to turn around to go back to the house: Forgotten something.
We'd be going somewhere, but 'oh, we have to stop at the clinic first' (mum's work). But we would just pop in there, not without having a cup of tea. So that's more time added.
Now coming from a small town, it's very hard to go anywhere without seeing someone you haven't seen for a long time...before you know it, 15mins has been added to the short 'popping' out trip. Or even more than that, if you see more than one person. And golly, my mum likes to talk! And as she's been doing this building work, she's popping into certain shops regularly and is on first name terms with half the staff and having general chit chat.
Our popping to the shops was taking so long; my brother would often call and ask where we were?

Towards the latter of my stay at home, I'd optioned for staying in the car, like my dad used to do. In hope it got mum to do her chores faster....it didn't work. And one time she came out of the Tile shop, popped her head round the door yelling ' Sarah, come and look at these tiles'.
'I don't want to look at tiles mum!' I moaned like a 13 year old.
'Sarah, come and looks at these tiles now, and chose'.
I reluctantly drag myself into the shop and mum tells me 'This is Tim' (the shop keeper and a bit of fitty)
She's been in here 5 minutes and she already knows the assistants name, 'who is she?'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Hair Angel

Unfinished writing :2015

Who are you without them? POEM