Running Rings Around Me.

My last morning with my nephew and I woke to the sound of his little feet running around the landing. He was looking for his parents, but to his dismay; was stuck with me and his grandma.
The time must have only been 8am, for too early for a Sunday morning- so I tried to get him to go back to bed (cuddles with Aunt.) It didn't quite work, as I was soon given various books to start to read through. After an abbreviated story of The Jungle Book and Aladdin. My mum gave me orders to get him washed and fed, ready for the day. Now for those of you that have 2 year old (or that of walking age) you will know that various words such as, 'bath time' 'brush your teeth' and bed time' don't often go down well and you find yourself chasing and battling get these tasks done.
I just about managed to get his pyjama trousers off; by catch him off guard and doing what is known as 'dekegging'. Aunt 1- Nephew 0. After a bit more running around, I got the top too; almost forgetting that the bath was still running.
 Lastly, THE NAPPY. What surprise would I have in there?  Now, seeming as he was reluctant to lie down on his changing mat, I had to improvise. (I've seen parents do the oddest things, why not try?). I took the nappy off him standing up. Great move, though it was filled with a solid form; I didn't make any mess. Yippee. 2-0 to auntie. Now just to get him in the bath, but the little man was off again and I am go to pick him up, he climbs onto the bed and sits down. NOOOOO!!!! I may have got the nappy off, but I hadn't yet cleaned his botty. 2-1, phooey bed cover. Such a fail :(
Bath time was quite a success, finishing the score 2-2. I have no idea why he has a watering can in the bath; I was going to have a wash after him. But as I was washing him, he decided that Aunt Sarah would like water all over her and the bathroom floor. Argh, He's so cute and helpful. And so grandma, standing there, nice and dry and taking photos.
Now getting changed: not as bad as undressing as he's is learning to do bits of this himself. The difficult part was going back to the bathroom to brush his teeth. There was a time when he'd happily do this, but now not so much. Head's turning, arms pushing. He's so strong and I clearly don't stand a chance to get this done as he starts to cry and I feel guilty. So Grandma steps in. Thank goodness, I'm KNACKERED. How do mothers do this every morning? I like my simple auntie duties....Playtime!
 Though my arms feel like I've been weight lifting, I restore to puzzles and toys rather than piggy backs, horse rides and swings.

The morning very quickly passes by and my mother suggests going for a walk. I have a quick flash back to yesterdays walk back from dance class and quick pass on the suggestion and stay home.
I got everything ready from mum to take him out. And as soon as they left, I ran back up too bed. Bliss!
My eyes feeling heavy, my dream starting to begin and my body warm and relaxing in the cosy bed. And not forgetting the silence.
Then, in what seemed like no time at all, I hear my name being called...they were back. 'Sarah, come and carry J to bed'.
No! I don't want to get up, but I drag myself down stairs, my hair looking like I’ve been in an electric chair and clothes not really too been seen out in. (the way I look, you'd think I’ve had four kids of my own).
As I see my nephew sound asleep, I say to my mum, 'he looks too comfortable to disturb, let's leave him in there'.
But mothers know best don’t them? 'No Sarah, take him up to bed'.
Well, as soon as I started to move him, he woke. I carried him up to his parent’s room and tried to get him back to sleep. But oh no! His batteries were recharged and ready to go again.
Mother insists on me to keep him in bed and sleep beside him....how I long for more sleep. So I close my eyes and hug him. It’s not working, he's moving and his bottle keeps banging my head. 'KEEP YOUR EYES CLOSED, Sarah.' Bang....bang. More bottle hitting. And now a voice saying something I can’t work out.
Keep pretending to sleep, he soon has to give in and go to sleep too. I'm so tired I could cry. 'Please have a little sleep'.
ARGH! What's this now? A finger...in my eye!!! He's now lifting my eye lids open and those little words that I could work out, I now manage to translate into...'Sarah, Get up,  get up'. I try to keep sleeping, but there is only so much eye poking and bottle banging one can take. Not to mention the cute little voice begging me to get up.

I count quietly. 3, 2, 1. ROOAARR! And the games continue. I can sleep later; I don’t see him that often, so I'll make the most of it. But boy oh boy-Hats off to all you parents. I’ve done some hard jobs, but that one is the hardest- but the best!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Looking after toddlers is indead hard work , but going by my experience a little easier when its your own ,as they know the routine so don't let it put you off xx

Popular posts from this blog

My Hair Angel

Unfinished writing :2015

Who are you without them? POEM