The wonderful world of a woman’s hand bag.


I’m not sure what’s happening in life these days, from before. But as I get older, I'm finding that life is weighing me down. Quite literally!
I use to be able to leave my house with just my phone, purse and house keys. But now... everything but the kitchen sink seems to have worked its way in there.


My daily handbag holds the general basics as mentioned above. And also, an umbrella (this is England after all), my oyster card, diary, mp3 player with head phones( not ear plugs).phone charger, due to phones being so advance and able to do so much; I find myself constantly attached to it, therefore it loses power a lot quicker than your 1998 Motorola M3288.

Tissues, chewing gum/mints. Small bottle of water. And that’s just for an average day!!! You can see that with all of this so far, it’s verging on the weight of a baby.
 Recently, when buying a new bag, I find myself holding the empty bag and feeling how heavy it is. Then, imagining the effect once all of my things have been put in. First thing to go in would be the obvious: the purse. Which also goes through a serious gruelling before purchase. That alone can be as heavy as a brick before any cards and coins are added.

Last New Year’s I bought three different purses. All of which had to go back because they either, 1. Didn’t close once everything was put in 2. Didn’t have enough space to put everything in and 3. Needed a suitcase to carry it around. The one I settled for had nice soft leather and an extension for all the cards I seem to have. Not credit cards. Pissing loyalty cards!! What is it with us women and stupid loyalty cards? And even thought I don’t use most of them, it’s there ‘just in case!’ As with the library cards (for two different areas, just in case I happen to be near either one), gift cards that I’m holding back on spending (as my wardrobe refuses to hold any more clothes or shoes) and blockbuster card (there isn’t one near where I live, but at One of my places of work there is, So you never know when that will come in hand). Oh and the collection of receipts for things I should take back and business cards I’ve collected.

I've had a clear out recently and do so every so often. Come to think of it, My purse doesn’t look half as bad as some of my friends.
My new purse now only holds the necessary cards and gift cards (hopefully they'll be gone soon.). I’m not going to the library or to the video shop and haven’t done for about a year. Exclusive loyalty cards are out, the reason they are exclusive is because you have to have a lot of money to shop there, and though my purse carries a lot. The thing it seems lacking of is actual money. So those cards can get the boot too!    
           
Now with my new slim line purse, I’ve shed about 2lbs!! Not that you’ll notice a difference. Because on other days my bag may also have...a change of shoes (there’s only so much strutting around we can do before we cave in), snacks/chocolate (as hunger strikes when you’re least expecting it). My make- up bag. Normally, and for years, I’ve been able to apply my face in the morning and survive the day with just my lipstick. But now after work engagements and dates with the fella require a fresh application. (I also carry a little toothbrush and paste, which has come out on the train before.)
Some days a book can be thrown in (only if it’s a hand bag friendly, paper back and no more than 200 pages.
 So NOW the bag weighs about as much as a 4 year old child. Who needs gym membership when carting that around all day?

I tell you what I do need...a personal masseuse. Half a day carry the average women’s bag is more damaging than what you can imagine. And I’m feeling more achier each day. AND  let's not forget the special days when we have to take our laptops out and about.
A full day running about with two bags and I’m left crippled over like the Hunch back of Notre Dame and sporting arms like Hercules. 
  Seriously ladies, THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR OUR HEALTH. Trapped nerves, curvature of the spine, frozen shoulder, headaches are all affects from our high maintain life style and all the baggage we are carrying. 

Is it really worth it? Im, not too sure.
I’m trying to carry less, though my line of work makes it a little difficult. So I try to alternate bags and use back packs whenever possible- even if they do look unfashionable.
The careful selection of a new purchase may mean the real leather may be side stepped.
And the cost effective carrying of water and snacks, given up.
And as for my laptop...well my mum, who knows very little about technology, laughed at the size of it compared to her super chic ipad my brother bought her. So, eventually that too will be eliminated from excursions out of the house.

TIP: Girls, for the weekend, get a small wheelie case- It’s easier to get someone to help you carry that up and down the tube.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Hair Angel

Unfinished writing :2015

Who are you without them? POEM