Gate Crasher? Or Opportunist? Auditions.

I've always been a bit of a goodie two shoes. So when I heard that some people gate crash, I'd think that's far too risky to do; What if you get caught?
A few years back, when I had graduated from college, I got word of auditions for Chicago the musicals. My agent hadn't called me for an audition and I really wanted to go. The advice I was given was just to turn up. Well, what’s the point of getting all glammed up and turning up at a private audition, just to be turned away? So goodie me thought I'd go about it the proper way and e-mail the director myself and ask politely to attend the audition. I got my reply quite quickly and was able to attend.

Now after a good few years of being in the industry, I’ve discovered that the best way of finding out about auditions is word of mouth, at classes or other castings/ auditions. Once some details are found out, you can contact your agent to find out what exactly is going on. Or if it seems like an open call, proceed on your own or with a group of people. This is totally fine if there is no list at the front desk. Otherwise, good luck getting in.

I think I haven't gate crashed an audition before. I've come across castings en route to other castings and popped in to see what was happening, and more often than not they will let me audition.


Your agent isn't always going to call you with endless auditions, and sometimes you have a period when you don't have an agent. So we turn to websites designed for performers to see what’s auditioning. Sometimes they need you to apply and on the off chance you just have to turn up at the venue.
This week I saw three castings I was suitable forgone I called my agent and she got me a slot, the other two had the address on the post; so I thought I'll just turn up (even though there was an e-mail address to send to) but so many e-mails get sent and not many get a reply. So I thought I'd skip that part.

Tuesday morning comes around and I make my way into town, following my Google map to the address. Studio found, actors coming out and more going in. I make my way up the stairs and greeted at the desk by a woman with a list of people’s names and their agents.
 'What's your name and who's your agent' she asks.
SHIT! I was not expecting this. Quick think on the spot. I gave her my name; it’s clearly not on the list.
'Who sent you?'
Erm, I got a call this morning, could catch the name of which agent sent me (I didn't want to get them into trouble or let them gain free commission for a job they didn't even send me to) but I gave a name.

'Ah, well you're not on the list (I fully know that) and I've been told not to let anyone in' (I give the puzzled look and expression that I've rushed from afar to get here). 'I'll pop you on the bottom, I shouldn't; but just this once'. - THANK YOU.
I felt so jammy and a little awkward. I could swear everyone in the waiting room was looking at me thinking, cheeky bugger, she shouldn't even be here. I sat trying to act cool and fill in my form. Just before I had to go in. The lady from the desk had popped over to the casting room and filled the people in charge about my presence. OMG! 'Its fine, she let you in; so just go with it.'

AS my name was called to go in with the next group, I imagined lining up doing my ident and then the casting director turning round to say to me. 'Thank you, you can leave now' and I having to go out and leave the others in there. That was not the case though, I got through the audition and they actually seemed quite happy with all of our performance. But geeh was I sweating. I tell you...goodie two shoes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Hair Angel

Unfinished writing :2015

Who are you without them? POEM